Friday, May 1, 2009

Italian Meatloaf

This is a recipe from a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. She was on Oprah last year long before James was born, but I just had to have the cookbook. It is all about sneaking healthy food into regular food. It is not a replacement for fruits and veggies on your childs plate, but rather, an extra opportunity to boost the nutritional value of their food. This is officially the first thing I've made from the cookbook and I thought it turned out great. I will definitely be making this again!

Italian Meatloaf
-Nonstick cooking spray
-1 cup Italian-style (seasoned) breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
-2 T olive oil
-1/2 cup onion
-2 celery stalks
-1 lb lean ground turkey (I used a 1.2 lbs pkg of 99% fat free turkey)
-1/2 cup parmesan or any blend of Italian cheese
-1/2 cup carrot puree(I used finely chopped 3 carrots in my mini food proccesor)
- 1/4 cup ketchup plus more for dipping
- salt and pepper to taste
-1 cup bottled tomato sauce (I used some leftover Chunky Garden Prego sauce)
-4 slices turkey bacon (I didn't have any bacon so omitted it)

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in milk

Heat a large skillet over med-high heat and add olive oil. Cook onion 7-10 minutes until soft. Add the celery and cook another 3-4 minutes. Take off heat and let cool a few minutes. Add the breadcrumb mixture, onions and celery to all the other ingredients. Stir to combine and add the mixture to the loaf pan. Spread tomato sauce to cover the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes until the edges brown. This was super delicious and healthy too!

1 comment:

  1. The meatloaf was delicious!! I can't wait to make it at my house! Love the new "Wilson Diner" Blog!!

    ReplyDelete